Dog beds come in all shapes and sizes and range from stylish to orthopedic. While styling is important, you should first consider your dog's needs when selecting a dog bed. Read on to learn more about the various dog beds available on the market today.
Types of Dog Beds
Pillow Bed - A classic style dog bed which is usually stuffed with cotton or cedar chips. Come in many different shapes - round, rectangle, oval, square, etc. - and many different sizes. With some beds the covers are even replaceable.
Loungers - More stylish for those looking for a chic look. Some lounger style dog beds even look like mini couches.
Nest Style - As the name implies, these dog beds provide wrap around comfort and warmth for your dog. Typically have a plush inner liner.
Cot Style - These are suspended off the ground like a cot or hammock.
Keys to Buying a Dog Bed
- Dog beds for large dogs should be big enough that the dog is not hanging off one end or the other. You can buy small dog beds, large dog beds, designer dog beds, luxury dog beds, pink dog beds, and extra large dog beds.
- If you live in a cold climate, or keep your house temperature on the chilly side, you might consider a heated dog bed or an outdoor dog bed. Likewise, if you live in a warmer climate, cooled beds are also available.
- Consider the comfort of the dog, more so than the décor of your room. Ideally you should be able to accomplish both goals. For older dogs, an orthopedic dog bed might be just the answer.
- While most beds will come with foam filling, cedar chips can also help eliminate odors.
- Washable bed covers are desirable.